Tuesday, October 24, 2006

AND JUST LIKE THAT, EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT

So Tate and I have been talking about moving in together for a while…. But there were a lot of uncertainties… Do we get a new place together- does he move into my place? Will it ever feel like our place? Or will it always have the stench of “my” place? How do we make it “ours”… I mean my place for the money- you really can’t do much better- but my parents own the place, and that has it’s pluses and minuses… and so we deliberate.

Then we shifted the conversation to, well, if he did move in, how would we do the place, how would we do it differently to make it feel different… we came up with switching the office and the bedroom- make it feel new, different… and the bedroom is bigger and it kinda makes more sense for two people and two desks and all that…

So the other day we did a little online browsing, desks, dressers…. What would we need to buy to make the space work for two. We found a few things we liked, a couple of things we loved etc. SO. Yesterday when we went to the store to pay and order the above mentioned pieces of furniture. Figuring it would arrive in a few weeks and by then we would have Tate's apt packed up and we could move him in and build our new shit and all that…

So then perhaps you can understand how it caught me off guard when they had everything in stock. And before I knew it , there we were moving the bed, building the desks, moving bookshelves, doing the whole thing last night.

I mean, I knew he was moving in, and I knew things were gonna change, but I hadn’t really expected it all to happen in one day…

And to make things crazier, when we found out we could take all the shit home, we figured we would move it all around today, and spend the rest of the week, bringing Tate’s shit over and settling in, but yesterday afternoon I got a call to start a job today- so suddenly we had a shit load to do all before I came to work this morning….

But before I knew it, it was 11 pm, and there we were, with 2 new desks in the old bedroom, and our heads laying where the fax machine and printer had been just a few hours prior.

It was wild, but I guess that’s what you get when you have two art dept people move in together. Instant house… like it’s a set.

The truth is that the rooms look great, and I think I am going to like it a lot. It will undoubtedly take some getting used to…. Middle of the night trips to the bathroom, closet still in the office that kinda thing? Where do I put my dirty clothes now… etc. But it feels like a new apt. And that was the whole goal. Make it new, make it feel like Tate and I made it together…

As a side note- my cats were totally confused. It was bed time, mom was in her pajamas, but why did she keep going in the office? And why wasn’t the bed in the bedroom? What the fuck? It’s gonna take some getting used to for sure…

No comments: