Wednesday, April 06, 2005

TUESDAY AT THE VATICAN

Was a spectacle like I have never seen.

Rome is under siege. The amount of people that have descended upon the city in the last few days has now exceeded many of the previous invasions that Rome fought with force.

This time they are not coming to sack the city… or fight for power they are coming to get in line…

And lemme tell you the line is MASSIVE. It is almost a mile long now- my roommate yesterday waited NINE hours to see the pope. When I think of the line as it was on Monday- just 2 short hours, I can’t believe I got out… now there is no way I will see him. I cannot bear it- nor do I have the faith or patience to endure that kind of wait. I did spend a few hours down there yesterday taking still more pictures , shooting video, etc… the difference in the amount of people is TERRIFYING.

Just when I thought the square simply couldn’t hold anymore people- the amount triples. It is overwhelming- and not a place for the anxious. There are reporters and cameras everywhere- pilgrims, homeless, children, families with prams, young school groups, singing, praying waiting. The line wraps thru 9 city blocks- the streets themselves becoming stanchions. My Kingdome for a helicopter… what a view it would be.

The strange thing is- the rest of Rome is sort of quite, undisturbed… I suppose because everyone is at the fucking Vatican… but it’s amazing to Ride my vespa thru the quite streets and then descend upon this scene where there are literally A MILLION PEOPLE milling around, taking pictures, stopping, talking, crying, praying, wailing,…. It’s just amazing. I sat on a corner and watched a young boy so overwhelmed by the situation he just suddenly starting throwing up…

Noting is unusual here. People are trapped in their homes- on some streets- you simple CANT OPEN your front door- and then, even if you could there is no where to go the streets Are lined wall to wall with people.

It is amazing.

Photos are up- check them out. They are crazy… but they really don’t do the scene justice.

Besides my daily pilgrimages to document the madness, all is well for me. Making friends- seeing people more and more, recognizing people on the street- excited for Shoni to come… quit my job- fucking boss gave me a promotion instead… won’t last long- looking hard for other work- I can’t deal… but he wants me to stay… whatever.

Cats are fine- weather is AWESOME, spring is here and I love this city. Getting to know it well, going shopping and learning the ropes.

It’s an amazing time to live in Rome. And as usually I am humbled and grateful for all of it.

More pics to come. Stay tuned.

No comments: