Saturday, May 28, 2005

LUXURY

Man, talk about rags to riches.

My parents have a really nice house. Showers you can turn around in, hot water you can control, TV!! More than one TV, airports for internet, fancy soap in the tray, food in the fridge, garage door clickers… just so much stuff that I have gotten used to life without and it’s wild to be so immersed back into it.

I mean last night I took a bath in a room that is bigger than my bathroom AND kitchen combined….

It’s nice. I can see why I lived here for so long, TV with 500 channels, phone lines, fax machines, Jacuzzi tubs… I get it, I remember. It’s… it’s nice. It is.

It’s making me feel wired. Like I want it all again. But I don’t really…

I mean, yesterday I worked for the first time and I am fucking beat now… I forgot how HARD I worked for the last 10 years, I mean no wonder I moved to Italy to slow down. Don’t get me wrong, the craft service table was awesome, and the free lunch was great… but fuck man, MY BODY HURTS today. Film is really hard work.

But the other thing that happened is that I watched my two friends on a break, one sat down and paid $1500 in bills, and the other pulled out a super fancy new 35mm camera.

There is such a web of making money and spending it and needing and desiring and wanting and have to have new stuff, and car payments, and make a lot and spend a lot… AND FUCKING A. It’s just exhausting.

I guess I feel silly, I lived in this city for 10 years, and in this country for 29 years… I’ve only been gone 4 months… so why then, is this all SO weird? Truth is, I don’t know why, it just kinda is…

I don’t know.

What I do know is that I am going over to Carters house for the last 4 episodes of the OC today with Damaris and then Jamie is throwing a party in my honor tonight. It’s memorial day weekend, as true and American holiday as they come… so I am gonna try not to bug out too hard, hang with my friends and make some money.

Tutti Va bene as they say…

1 comment:

wanna said...

oh my god chase-i so know what you mean.
i'm just back to manila from 7 months away, opened my mail sent to me from LA and realized i had to pay in taxes more than i've lived on in the last 3 months. And a registration for my car that amounts to a month salary of some of the dudes i worked with in Sri. what the fuck do i need a car for. and even here in manila, tvs and dvds and dsl and ps2s and big hot showers and air conditioning.then i friendstered for the first time in months and it made me want i want to go back. i think at the end of it it's the friends that make you miss home. but maybe we can learn to slow down back there? i don't know any of it really- but i do agree, it's all just so big, there's so much stuff, and it's all so wierd...
hope u had a good party, and send love to the kids for me. xo