Tuesday, February 22, 2005

THE END OF AN ERA

Good lord.

As if my father needed any more bad news this week. Yet ANOTHER good friend of his died this week. This time he took his own life- sending a bullet thru his brain.

As I’m sure many of you have heard, Hunter S Thompson ended his life on Sunday. Marking a terribly un-extraordinary way to end a truly extraordinary life. While some friends are calling his death selfish, and cruel. I think my father said it best- it was just an impulsive thing… the likes of which we spent a life time in awe of- that was Hunter did best…..

And so, the man famed for Gonzo Journalism, drug enraged politics, and of course fear and loathing in the heart of America is gone. I however, thank him for something he was a little less known for… and that was taking my fathers keys one night and not letting him drive.. This was, one of a string of events that awoke my father from his drinking, and inevitably changed his life, as well as my own.

I loved that book about Vegas too, but I appreciated him for mostly selfish reasons.

Ps: HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT MAGNOLIA…

1 comment:

Megan Hill said...

shit dude. i heard about that (of course) and thought of your poor dad. 2 good friends gone is such a short amount of time. jeez! that's what happens at that age though. one after the other. awful!! glad to hear your dad is doing ok though. i was thinking good thoughts for him.
and what a lovely thing hunter did for him too. gotta love good friends like that.