Friday, February 25, 2005

SIMPLE THINGS

Ohhhh- it was warmer today- not a lot warmer…just, enough. It was like a whole different city- the sun was shinning my coat was unbuttoned, no scarf. Me and my friend Jill and Alejandro went to a museum to see, of all things an Annie Leibowitz retrospective…(that was so-so…) but, the building it was in was magnificent- The Auditorium, it is called, and it is akin to the Disney Hall in Downtown LA. It’s a real weird building, and there are actually 3 theaters- for music, theater, dance… and opera…. They were killer. And for some reason they were open- so we had a look inside… so beautiful. They just really understand something here about making shit look good.

Had an apertivo in the Campo di fiori… took a nap- and met up with Justin Dragonas’s ex girlfriend Andrea- who lives in Rome. We had SUCH a good time. It was great- had a really fun dinner with her…. I don’t think there was even one second of dead air- the two us gabbed and gabbed. It was nice to talk to someone who knew the same people I know….

Anyway.

I have to find a job- the one I wanted doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. I had an interview on Thursday at Cinecitta (the film studio) here in Rome. I went in to meet with the producers and the Art Dept Coordinator of the new HBO show they are shooting here- which is the aptly named “Rome.” It is by the same people that made The Sopranos, Six feet under…etc… and it is, obviously, is about life in Ancient Rome. So I went and met them- they gave me a tour of the back lot. HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT is all I can say- it is, the largest set ever built for TV- and right now it is the largest free standing set in the world- larger even than the famed Cleopatra set… they weren’t sure- but they think they are in the ranks of the largest set of all time. And I’ll tell you what- it was AWESOME. In the true meaning of the word- AWE inspiring.

THEY REBUILT THE FUCKING FORUM!!! No joke- it was like standing in the center of ancient Rome. Totally totally impressive.

The problem is, that they are wrapping the first season in, like- 3 weeks, and so they are already starting to let people go. So the fucking wank is, in addition to them wanting to hire me, but not being able to, (because there is no job left)… I am coming to Rome at a time- when in the next month about 500 people will be hitting the market looking for work in film. If the show gets picked up for another season- there is a decent chance I can get on it.. but who knows when and if that will happen.

So. Shit.

SO- I am back at the drawing board… hitting pubs, and language schools, etc. I’ll find a job…just- you know, now I really am saying fuck the career. … oh well!

I think I am going to start language school on Monday- I need to learn Italian one way or the other- so I’m just gonna start already. I’ll have a better chance getting a good job if I can communicate….


So for now, today- I am satiated by simple things. An old friend and a glass of wine. A few degrees warmer. Clean sheets, Stan Getz on my stereo, The full moon, Disorono on ice, And, as always- the way my cats look at me.

No comments: