Sunday, March 27, 2005

EASTER IN ROME

Well- it’s Easter. Daylight savings, my second day of work, my first day with a roommate, and the first time in History the Pope wasn’t able to speak at an Easter Service.

All in all, a well rounded day.

What can I say. Too bad for the fuckin pope.

The roommate seems fine. She’s jet lagged and asleep. Just how I like her.

Work is… work is something else. I know I will write more soon, as soon as I am able to clearly articulate the world I am now a part of. But let me say just this:

I work on the black market. In the my first two days I have seen a man have an epileptic fit, a man dressed as a gladiator beat up a man with a horse and buggy, I was yelled at twice by people who thought I was working independently, not realizing I was in training- heard every language that this great world has to offer, seen the police come and give a girl a fine for doing the same thing I do… and basically been told, while I do this to watch my front back and center.

All in a days work on the black market in front of the coliseum.

What a sub culture.

I suppose if part of my hope in moving away from the comforts of home was to fully isolate myself from all that was familiar… then I have, officially archived my goal.

All that being said- the job is cake and it is in many ways like shooting fish in a barrel- and I can see how there is a fucking killing to be made here in the high season. So I will probably keep doing it… but not for long… there is a part of one’s soul that can be lost if this kind of job is held onto for too long.

Ahhh Easter. I miss my mother more today than I have the entire time I’ve been away. Right about now she is probably cooking up some amazing springtime feast, in her enormous custom kitchen- setting the table in a manner that would make even Martha Stewart envious… and I think about all the “orphans” she has taken in at Easter over the past few years, people without their family- new to the city…

And I wish she was here, or I was there. Because being taken into parents home is like being taken into the arms of an angel. And I wish I had a mom in Rome.

But alas, I spent Easter dinner with my dear gay friend Oliver. We had a cheese burger and a beer. I went home and ate a Cadbury egg, my first chocolate since Lent began… I kissed my cats and I put my exhausted ass to bed.

All in all, it was a fucking great day.

I hope you all have a great Easter… Passover, what you will. I miss you all.

C

No comments: