Tuesday, March 22, 2005

GATHERING

So you go down to the coliseum for 5 or 6 hours as many days a week as you want, and you talk to tourists and you get them to go on tours with licensed English speaking tour guides. Then when you see a group of young American spring breaker types- you give them a flyer for a pub crawl that night “you get a free shot at every bar you go to and it’s all you can drink for free from 9 to 10p!!!”

And for every person you recruit you get $$ for them.

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

It’s not the most glamorous job I’ve ever had- but it’s money, and it might very well just keep me in Rome. And that’s all that matters at this point. I start on Saturday- I wil, of course, keep you updated.

It is funny that after growing up in Aspen and hating tourists with a vengeance.. they are now going to be my bread and butter. Classic.

It's like the ultimate summer job. Right?… how high school of me… (I really DID give up the career…)

But I think it's gonna be hilarious. I spoke to a girl who made almost 20,000 last summer. I was like, shit fuck it... apparently the gatherers make more than the guides... so we'll see.

And hopefully by next fall I will be able to get a "real" job. One that stimulates the mind a bit more. Perhaps “Rome” will come back to town…

But for now-I am letting the ego have a much needed rest- just chilling you know? Really letting it all hang out… actually relaxing.

Being poor, enjoying my friends, myself, the city and the moment.

No comments: