Monday, July 11, 2005

HAVING A HANKERING

Been thinking a lot the last few days about Italy vs. Rome. I think I might be ready to live in a different part of the country. I was thinking of spending the fall in the country. Perhaps somewhere a bit more remote, a bit less expensive. And a bit less touristy. Perhaps Tuscany, the Amafi coast, Sardingnia… I don’t know.

I am going to Venice this week for a few days, and I was thinking maybe instead of flying back on Friday as planed, maybe I will take the train back, and take my time, stopping in Pisa, or Lucca or something.

I bet for the same price I pay for my apartment in the center of Rome I could get a fine old place in the middle of nowhere. Where I could write read, and sit with my cats out doors.

I think my main pull is the language, Seems a fucking shame that I have been here for as many months as I have and I still cant speak the fucking language. It’s a joke really. It’s just that my life in Rome consists of English and Irish friends, English speakers at work, reading in English for work, American and other English speaking tourists around every corner…. The truth is, I actually kind of KNOW how to speak, I just don’t get a chance to practice.

And despite what you might have heard, Italians are in fact NOT the friendliest people in the world (or is it just Romans?)… but to make Italian friends, is simply not as easy as it would seem.

At least not for me.

And at least not in this city.

(that being said, I have just recently really taken it to the next level with my Brit friends… I am feeling much more comfortable with them and the crazy chase is starting to surface… and they are starting to understand and enjoy it… it’s kinda great)…

So I don’t know, But I think it’s time to do some exploring.

I know Rome quite well now, and I actually could stay a lot longer. But I’d like to live somewhere a bit cheaper, so I could keep this engine running a bit longer. So who knows.

Perhaps I wont go anywhere. Perhaps I will.

Either way, as most things in my life now, all doors are open, everything is a possibility, and I am ready to accommodate all ideas.

No comments: