Monday, July 25, 2005

SPLURGE

I cannot tell you how, after months and months of living without a TV and DVD player- the amazing sense of self I was returned to after I walked into the video rental place and rented two movies. This might be sad to say- but I felt almost human again. It’s just, after 10 years of working in the film biz not being able to rent a fucking movie and veg out was starting to take it’s toll.

Consider that when I lived in LA I had every electronic gizmo known to man. 2 TV’s, tivo, a phone line, a fax line, a fax machine, a cell phone, a computer, an ipod, a palm pilot, an airport, caller id, (fucking hell in my two bed room apt I had FIVE phones… )shit, I had the thing that makes the ipod work in the car… even the fancy car to boot. I mean my shit was consumerized… all the way.

And for the past several months I was feeling so liberated from all of it. From all the fucking cables, And all the energy consumed, and all the bills that went along with them… Just all of it. But after the novelty wore off- it feels good to have a TV. And granted it’s only a 14-incher, and has DVD connected to it… but it’s just about the fucking best TV I’ve ever had!

And so I guess that got my appetite up- so yesterday I went out and bought myself something else I’ve been needing awfully bad. (not an electronic…) But a big pot and two frying pans! Oh man. What bliss it is to cook in proper cooking ware. So simple. So happy.

I guess sometimes you just have to strip down to basics to realize how lucky we are to have the simplest of things.

And then sometimes you have to reward yourself with a few meager purchases to remind you that- you are in fact, an American, after all is said and done.

I know I have 3 scripts to read for work tomorrow (yea, that’s 600 pages) but fucking hell, I might just have to put in a movie first!

2 comments:

wanna said...

Good for you! Making a new home needs things that made your old one. Dude- so know! used to sit under a mosquito net watching bridget jones diary or swim fan on my laptop and it fucking SAVED me! Try really fancy bath shit- wisk yourself to Burke Williams! You deserve it!

Chase Carter said...

w- ah burke williams I wish.

a- wouldn't you know it the scipts are from fucking LA. HA!

love you ladies